Keynote: “Search interfaces and learning about controversial topics“
Ladislao Salmerón is associate professor and director of the Reading Institute of the University of Valencia, Spain. He obtained his PhD in 2006 on experimental psychology at the University of Granada, Spain, and was a Fulbright visiting scholar at the Institute of Cognitive Science of the University of Colorado, USA, during 2007. His research focuses on the cognitive mechanisms of digital reading. Within this field, he has studied the development of digital reading competence across adolescence, digital reading skills of students with intellectual disability, or the use of eye-movements videos to support the acquisition of digital reading abilities.
Keynote: “HyperTED: Exploring Video Lectures at the Fragment Levels for Enhancing Learning”
Raphaël Troncy presents in his keynote previous work on the HyperTED platform for exploring big archives of video lectures as well as some recent work on the CodinGame platform. Raphaël is associate professor in the Data Science Department at the EURECOM Institute where he gives lectures on “Human-computer interaction for the Web” and on “Semantic Web technologies”. He received a PhD fellowship at the National Audio-Visual Institute (INA) of Paris where he obtained his PhD degree with honors in 2004. He was an awarded ERCIM Post-Doctorate Research Associate in the National Research Council (CNR) in Pisa, Italy, in 2005, and employed as a researcher in the National Research Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI) in Amsterdam from 2006 until 2009. His main research interests are Semantic Web and multimedia technologies, Web science, knowledge graphs, and information extraction.
- 09:00 – 09:15 Welcome and introductory session by organisers
- 09:15 – 10:00 Keynote I – Ladislao Salmerón (University of Valencia): “Search interfaces and learning about controversial topics”
- 10:00 – 10:30 Paper presentation “Metacognitive Judgments in Searching as Learning (SAL) Tasks: Insights on (Mis-) Calibration, Multimedia Usage, and Confidence” (J. von Hoyer, G. Pardi, Y. Kammerer, P. Holtz)
- 10:30 – 11:00 Coffee break
- 11:00 – 11:30 Paper presentation “Investigating Correlations of Automatically Extracted Multimodal Features and Lecture Video Quality” (J. Shi, C. Otto, A. Hoppe, P. Holtz, R. Ewerth)
- 11:30 – 12:15 Keynote II – Raphaël Troncy (EURECOM Institute)
- 12:15 – 14:00 Discussion: Future Research Challenges in Search as Learning with Multimedia Information
- 12:30 – 14:00 Lunch break